Thursday, April 26, 2007

Someone please dial 911 ...

I've made several phone calls today at work.

Nothing out of the norm, just business. But I started thinking about something each time I dialed: I wonder what would happen if I hit the number 1 one more time?

Let's investigate.

When you dial out from most businesses, you must dial a 9 or some other arbitrary number to get out of your work's phone system. If you're making a long distance call, 1 will be the next digit you will dial.

Now, if you hit 1 again, do you go directly to 911, the emergency service or do you have to dial 9-911 for that to work?

I'm sure you can dial 911 directly, but I wonder how many people have accidentally dialed 911 by accident because they hit the 1 twice or how many people tried dialing 911 but were rejected because they dialed 9-911.

This is a wonderful example of me overthinking. Ah, oh well. Back to Usher and his Confessions.