Thursday, January 31, 2008

This is My Confession



I have an admission. It's something that in some circles might get me shot. In others, I might be looked as or presumed to be certifiably gay (which I'm not, though I have nothing against homosexual people).

My name is Vic Damone, Jr. and I'm a quasi-female television addict. About 40 percent of my television consumption consists of things no man would ever watch a full episode of even with a gun to his head.

I've watched a full season or two of Top Model. I loved the Golden Girls (though I refuse to watch re-runs). I'm intrigued by Project Runway (because I have a ton of female friends who watch it), though I haven't seen but like five minutes of it. I watch The Tyra Banks Show, Oprah and The View if I get the chance.


If you're wondering why, it's because I'm curious to see what females are thinking. If I could have one superpower, it would be that of Mel Gibson's character Nick in What Women Want (one of my favorite movies). I pick up Essence and Cosmo to try and learn as much about women.

If women are from Venus, television, magazines and my females friends are my satellites that's I've launched into orbit to study that planet.

More than anything, I'm addicted to The Game and Girlfriends and Sex and the City re-runs. I'm willing to admit this. The shows Mara Brock Akil and her writers have created are thought-provoking, witty and funny takes on the mid-to-upper class black life.

Writing the way they do is what I aspire to do with my life, thoughts and words. And I feel like I learn something about women and about writing with every word I hear on either of these shows.

So yes. I admit it. I've watched every episode of the first two seasons of The Game twice, at least. I've seen most of the episodes of Girlfriends, and will purchase every season on DVD once the prices come down.

And I'm overly excited for the return of the shows on Sunday night (although I hate that they're competing with the SuperBowl).

Whew! The secret is out. And I'm happy about it.

P.S. For discretion's sake: I'm a die-hard football junkie. I live and breathe baseball. I die during the Boondocks and Everybody Hates Chris. I still watch SportsCenter repeats. And CSI has kept me from even thinking about doing some really dumb things in life.