Thursday, February 21, 2008

Chipping Away

From Duffle Bag Boy: "I'm am on my shit, need a pamper on me." Friday night's experience has me on my game.

When God said “find yourself in a reflection”
Chipping away at your nose isn’t exactly what He meant.
See, so many are caught up in physical perception.
True perfection we’ve chosen to reject.
Found themselves in the in shelves
And aisles of the cosmetic surgery to beguile
A soul that lacks real depth.
Accept, their reality they will not.
So instead they trot into the surgeon’s chair.
Some, like I, prefer to call it the entrance to Pharoah’s lair.
Better known as the Sphinx.
You don’t want to make the connection
Well let me send you the link.
www.yournosedefinesyourface.com
Tells a story of your history, your race, a place
From whence some of your ancestors came
And see the Greeks chipped away at the memories of Giza
So you wouldn’t know your true name.
Trying to displace Egypt from Africa in our history books
But all you’ve gotta do is give Egyptians a single look.
Crazy, what you appear to be doing seems to be the same.
Carving out of your history book this unique piece of you,
To please the callings of a people of a different hue.
Makes me wonder when it was that we all went off cue.
The white man desiring full lips,
and the black woman wanting to chip …
maybe it was when we started to mix seeds,
Can’t say that totally bothers me.
Because real love knows only one face,
It lacks race in case you didn’t know,
It stares back you, no matter how wide or thin your nose.
So I’m left to wonder why some chose to go
The route of reworking the clay that God made … for you,
No, I can’t judge you for the things you chose to do.
But I will pray that you find the will to hold on to that not-so-distant memory.
Instead of sanding away your ancestors’ DNA
As if it were a nail filed down by a board of emery.