Sunday, February 24, 2008

My Hope For Joan


... is not what you think.

I've waited about a week or so. But I finally feel inclined to weigh in on the abrupt ending of Girlfriends, the sitcom that many blacks (especially black women) hold dear to their hearts.

I didn't just want to dump on the CW for dropping the show or question the aims the last season (it seemed to be going in about 527 directions all at once). But I wanted to give the show's ending an undeniable credence. So, I've taken my time, and I've come up with how I wish the show would end.

Finally, last night it came to me. Joan Clayton, the main character of the show, is meant to be alone for life. I mean, she's spent the better part of seven seasons searching for the perfect relationship under the constraining rules (like her three-month rule for sex), overthinking and overreacting.

When Joan found "the one" her dude was shipped off to fight in Iraq. Now the show has been canceled with her relationship in limbo because Aaron is still at war. Crazy, right? Maybe that's a fitting "end" of sorts, that this hopeless romantic actually end up by herself, hopeless.

It may sound crass. But I think it's not a bad way to leave the show, you know, Joan without the experience of another relationship (this time marriage) that she seemed destined to mess up. If they do have a proper finale, I think it would be best for the show if Aaron, Joan's husband is killed off at war in an accident of sorts ...

... and his funeral, Toni Childs, Joan's best friend since childhood returns to reconcile their relationship.

All at once, it makes several statements. It questions the war. It displays the importance of true friendship. It gives us the understanding that some of us just aren't meant to be in relationships no matter how hard we try to find that perfect person, a real but harsh reality.

It would be interesting to see William and Monica in their first days as parents in contrast to the death of Aaron. You know, the life and death ying and yang. On Lynn, it would be great to see her find yet another random person to sleep with, maybe a virgin. And Maya and Darnell. I've never be able to make much of this relationship. She just seems so spastic. Maybe she ends up pregnant again, or they finally adopt a child.

But most important, the show needs reconciliation between Toni and Joan, maybe the premier relationship during the show's run. Of course, I also want to see Jill Marie Jones in character again (I've been in love with Toni Childs for almost five years now).

The show lost traction when Jill Marie jumped ship, and it would be impossible to tie together the loose ends without her in the finale. It's Joan's most best relationship. The one she needs the most.